At 58 Years old, Master Relson Gracie demonstrates some of the amazing physical benefits of jiu jitsu through his flexibility and exercise routine. Lets hope we can all do this at 58.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art that focuses on grappling and ground fighting techniques. It is also referred to as Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Those learning its techniques are taught how to gain a dominant position over the opponent with the help of techniques such as chokeholds, joint-locks and compression locks. The art was derived from early 20th century Kodokan Judo, which descends from Japanese Jujutsu. This martial art has gained popularity in recent years, making it far easier to find classes than in the past.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great method of self defense, and has been especially recommended for women. Since women who are attacked are most often thrown to the ground, the techniques taught in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are particularly effective in helping women learn to fight from this submissive position. In addition, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is thought to be particularly effective for women because it does not require a lot of size or strength to be used effectively. However, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu offers benefits to your health, too. Here are some ways practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can help you.
1. It increases endurance – You can begin practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at any fitness level. However, over time, you’ll find your endurance increases because of the requirements of the sport.
2. It increases flexibility- – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’s moves will require you to move in ways that are unfamiliar, at first. However, as the moves become easier, you’ll find that you’ve increased your overall flexibility.
3. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu builds muscle – Over time, even without weight training, you’ll find that your muscle tone and muscle mass have increased.
4. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu increases your aerobic capacity – This is a great workout – and you’ll find that you have greater aerobic capacity after a time. You’ll likely lose a few pounds, too, especially if you practice another aerobic exercise, like running, biking or swimming, on your off days.
5. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu increases your confidence level – The knowledge that you can defend yourself against an opponent is very powerful. When we believe our bodies are strong, we feel better physically and mentally.
6. Practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu reduces stress – Like any physically challenging exercise, practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great way to reduce stress by taking out your frustrations on your opponent – or just on a practice bag. You’ll find you’re more relaxed and sleep better.
7. Jiu-Jitsu improves your focus and concentration – This sport requires mental concentration as you anticipate your opponent’s next move and formulate your own plan for defense and attack. This forced concentration helps you be better able to focus your mind during practice – and for other tasks, as well.
As you can see, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great all around sport. You’ll increase your fitness level and reduce your stress level. And, perhaps most importantly, you’ll gain the skills to protect yourself in the event of an attack, and the confidence that goes along with the knowledge that you are capable of self defense. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes are easier than ever to find – so go out and sign up for one today!